Santa Clarita Valley Democrats Code of Conduct
From Appendix II of our Bylaws
Santa Clarita Valley Democrats (SCVD) is committed to fostering an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment. The SCVD Board expects that all members, including officers and board members, and our associated party allies will conduct themselves in a respectful manner to ensure that all events, meetings, and social media spaces are places where members feel welcomed and comfortable.
The SCVD Board and affiliated agents of This Club are dedicated to doing everything in our power to ensure this is the case. Our goal is to guarantee that any club member or ally who comes forward to share their story about harassment, assault, or a violation of any kind can expect their story to be taken seriously—regardless of who the perpetrator is, whether a club
member, a club leader, a party leader, a candidate, a staffer, or an elected official.
- Discrimination—The unfair treatment of a person or group because of that person’s or group’s category status, including race, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability status, national origin,veteran status, and immigration status,
- Harassment—Physical or verbal hostility, or any unwelcome or offensive conduct or communication, directed toward someone or toward a group of individuals, because of their category status,
- Sexual Harassment—Unwelcome sexual advances; requests for sexual favors; or any other unwelcome verbal or physical conduct or communication of a sexual nature, and,
- Sexual Assault—any physical sexual act (including touching and grabbing) perpetrated upon a person, without their consent, where:
- the assailant uses physical force, threat, coercion, or intimidation to overpower or control another;
- the victim fears that he or she, or another person, will be injured or otherwise harmed if he or she does not submit;
- the victim’s ability to give or withhold consent is impaired due to the influence of alcohol or other drugs; OR,
- consent is otherwise not freely given.
Reporting Violations & Disciplinary Action
SCVD strongly encourages all survivors to report violations to a trusted person or to the authorities. We also strongly encourage and expect third parties, when and if possible and not endangering individual safety and/or emotional well-being, to report knowledge of violations of this Code of Conduct. By a vote of the membership of SCVD this Code of Conduct is considered an Appendix to, and part of, the SCVD Bylaws, by reference thereto. Violation of this Code of Conduct may include disciplinary action up to and including termination of rights to SCVD membership, and leadership positions, attendance at club events, consideration for endorsements, and other applicable privileges. This Code of Conduct may be amended from time to time by the Executive Board. Amended versions shall replace prior versions and shall have the same force and effect. This Code of Conduct shall be posted on the SCVD web page.